The Academic Museum

The ”Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University Museum functioned since 1985 within the Rector’s Office. Thanks to Octav Davideanu, former chief-secretary of the University, many objects valuable for the academic life were preserved, though not all of them became available for the public. A significant part of documentary patrimony and objects remained in several personal archives, while a series of exhibits and documents were fragmented and given in the custody of some institutions, such as Petru Poni Museum, The Museum of the Union, State Archives etc. Some of them have been recovered in recent years through donations and purchases, along with getting in custody. The current location of the institution offers the academic collection a generous space, organized both by thematic criteria and in relation to various historical stages of the higher education in Iasi. Thus, a Rector’s Office is presented, with proper furniture, the first academic medals, various seals and some of the university symbols, namely the silver hammer and trowel used on May, 23rd 1893 at the solemnity of settling the fundamental stone of the University Palace in Copou.

A substantial area is allotted to the historical evolution of the institution, as its official opening and the anniversaries of 1910/1911, 1960, 1985 and 2010 are reminded of by representative exhibits (the flags of the first universities, pictures of important figures, official documents, medals, photos, publications). Most part of the academic collection presents the evolution of disciplines, aiming to illustrate the achievements in knowledge and scientific carrier of important figures. Various laboratories, the Museum of Natural History, the Botanical Garden and theUniversity Central Library are properly presented, thus revealing the importance in the research plan of each of these components of academic space. A special attention is paid to former students of the university, who are depicted in terms of activities developed both in formal space and out of it. International relations of the oldest Romanian university are outlined in a separate frame. In addition to furniture, meant to create an academic feeling, the atmosphere is audio-visually backed up by Romanian and English films about the history of the institution.